Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Vintage Santa Gift Set

Why is it that something can look so good in my head, then not look so good when I actually get it done? I made this box, 3x3 card and tag for The Twelve Tags of Christmas Funkie Junkie Style Challenge week 8. It's not horrible - otherwise I wouldn't even be posting it. I actually do like the little card and the tag. I just don't like the box much. I probably should have just made a regular box or bag. I don't think it's one of my best projects.

I love quilt blocks and have been wanting to make a card with one for awhile. My grandmother was a quilter and tried to teach me. I never was able to do anything decent with fabric, so I thought I'd try paper. This pattern is called Ohio Star. I have never made a quilt block from paper before and I have not made a box like this before. I think if I do either again they'll be better because I know things I would do differently. I probably will try the quilt block again, but the box is doubtful.

Linda's inspiration tag for week 8 is below. The inspirations for my set are the vintage Santa collage, snowflakes, the flower and "quilt". Linda stitched her collage piece with some fill to give it a quilted look so that's where my quilt blocks come in.


I will say there is one piece of the box that I am very happy with - my Santa collage. I don't have a stamp like this and I don't have the right types of individual stamps to create my own stamped collage. So I made my collage in Photoshop. I used the image "Merry Old Santa" by Thomas Nast. This is the first illustration of Santa that is similar to our modern version and it's one of my favorite Santa images. It was published in Harper's Weekly in the early 1880's and is now in the public domain. I cleaned up the background around the image, then placed it on top of a text background and added some snowflakes with Photoshop brushes. I used a font called Christmas Card that I downloaded from daFont for the "Believe". The little stamp in the upper right corner is also a Photoshop brush. Now I have my own vintage Santa collage that I can print in different sizes for cards or other projects. This is my first digital collage, but I don't think it will be my last. It was fun.

I also created the sentiment on the card and tag in Photoshop. The sentiment itself is actually a picture font that I also downloaded from daFont. There are several Christmas sentiments in the set. You just press a letter key and the sentiment pops up all nice and pretty like that. I put it inside a frame image that I downloaded from The Graphics Fairy, trimmed around it and layered on a Spellbinders Labels 18 (I think) die cut. So I can also print the sentiment in any size I want.

A larger version of the sentiment also appears on the other side of the box, but since I wasn't all that thrilled with the box anyway, I only photographed the one side. The two ends have other vintage Santa images - just single images, not collages like the front.

I think that's about it. Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Humm, I don't know what you are not satisfied with, but understand because sometimes I have that feeling about my own pieces. I think your quilt blocks came out fabulous - love the vintage music and color palette. I was very interested in what you shared about the picture font. I love to collect interesting fonts and I don't believe I have been on the site daFont so will check it out. Your digital collage is awesome. I enjoy creating things like that too.

I think your set is terrific and am so glad you shared it with us! Thanks for playing along with the 12 tags challenge this week.

Hugs,
Linda

Plush Possum Studio said...

I guess I like the whole set, not just a few pieces from it. Maybe that's because I can't see into the mind of the artist to view what it was you were going for. I really like this project. And the subtle, antique tone is personally a favorite. So your choices for every element really caught my eye. Very nice indeed!
And Thank You for the Follow!
You now will have my Follow in return.
Rose

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Judy
Susan from NZ here via (Funkie Junkie). I saw your entry for the 12 days of Christmas Challenge, and popped over to take a closer look, and I am so glad that I did, your three projects are wonderful, your interpretation is great.
I was a quilter for many years and I know the Ohio star well, it is a lovely traditional design; a quilt block does not always look good on it's own, it needs companions, you have added the image and die cuts plus the gorgeous flower, you may not be completely satisfied but honestly it is a lovely collection and you should be pleased. I admire anyone who can work with Photoshop too!!!!!
Smiles:)

Susan said...

I agree with everyone above! Lovely set. I especially like the 3x3 card. Awesome job with creating your own collage image on photoshop. I'm impressed!