Monday, November 14, 2011

Christmas Gift Tags


I've gotten behind again on my submissions for the 12 Tags of Christmas Funkie Junkie Style challenge. Things are extremely crazy in my life right now so I'm hoping I'm going to be able to complete all the challenges. I may end up having to simplify my plans.

I did decide to go simple for my Week 7 submission and to actually make tags. These are doing double duty for a gift tag swap that I am participating in as well.

Here is Linda's inspiration tag for week 7:

My first inspiration from Linda's tag was the background. I stamped the Merry Christmas and snowflakes with Versamark on white cardstock, then embossed them with clear EP. Then I sponged on Old Paper, Frayed Burlap and Vintage Photo Distress Inks. The EP acts as a resist, leaving them white.

The next inspiration was the corrugated cardboard snowflake. I don't have any white corrugated cardboard, but I do have some funky corrugated paper that I have had for at least 10 years. I have no clue why I bought it or why I hung onto it for so long. Maybe it was to make this tag. :) I cut my snowflake with a punch because all my snowflake dies are too "skinny" and I wanted a chunkier snowflake. I highlighted the edges and ridges with Frayed Burlap Distress Ink and used some chunky glitter on the edges. For the center I used a red button tied with twine.

Next was the pine branches stamped on Linda's background. From those I was inspired to make the wreath on the other tag. I stamped some texture with Peeled Paint Distress Ink, then punched out the "branches" with a Martha Stewart leaf punch. I glued those around a round ring that I made with small Spellbinders circle dies. After the wreath was dry, I sprayed it with some homemade glimmer spray and added red gems and a raffia bow.

Finally, was the Christmas ticket and gold snowflake. I love ticket images, but I don't have any stamps, punches, or anything like that. I have been wanting to create some of my own in Photoshop, but just didn't have time for this project. I used a small scalloped tag to stamp the To and From on for the gift tag. It's very hard to see because it's a tiny stamp. I sponged on Fired Brick Distress and Frayed Burlap Distress inks, then edged the tag with antique gold metallic paint. Instead of a snowflake I used a Prima flower that I painted with antique gold metallic paint, then brushed on gold Stickles. For the center I used a bead cap that I flattened a little and glued a pearl to the center. The bead caps were silver so I rubbed them with antique gold RubNBuff.

For a little color, I added a piece of red cardstock that I embossed with my Victorian Cuttlebug folder. I distressed the edges with scissors and edged with Frayed Burlap Distress Ink. I added some gold and black fiber. Finally, I added some jute twine to tie the tags to gifts.

That's about it for this one. Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Pretty tags! I forgot to take pictures of mine before I mailed them. That's ok though...they looked better in my head then they do in person. I'm glad I am getting one of yours!

Tina said...

Awesome tags. I enjoy seeing all of your creations and getting ideas. :)

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Sorry to be so far behind getting over here to comment, Judy. These tags are sensational! What a gorgeous red. Love the way you made the wreath and those beautiful embossed snowflakes. And your corrugated snowflake is wonderful too! Absolutely stunning entries into the tag challenge. Thanks so much for joining in the fun.

Hugs,
Linda