Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Let it Snow!

Hello friends! Today I have another Christmas/Winter wall hanging. I think I'm enjoying these decorative projects more all the time. I keep thinking of more ideas I can do. One day my walls will be filled with 'stuff'. :^). I'm submitting this project for the following challenges:


You can find Linda's week 11 tag for the Funkie Junkie Challenge HERE. I'm not posting a pic of the tag anymore because for some reason a lot of the commenters that visit my blog seem to think I made the tag (even though I always say it's Linda's tag). I am no where near Linda's level in my work, so to avoid the confusion I'll just link to her tag from now on.

In Linda's tag, I was inspired by snowflakes, the book page background, the Snowflakes on the Edge die and the square fragment. I had a hard time coming up with an idea for my project until I saw tag 4 in Tim's 12 Tags of Christmas series. I was inspired by the snowman (I can't believe this is the first snowman project I've made so far this year!) and the color. I really wanted to do something different. It seems like almost everything I've been making lately has been some shade of brown. I really do like color! :^).

For the base of my wall hanging I used a page from a children's board book. It was already the perfect shape and has a good weight for this type of project. I covered it with a book page, then brushed on a thin layer of white paint. I stamped snowflakes on it with Versamark and clear embossed them. I don't have any Distress Inks in the right colors of blue, and I don't own any Distress Stains so I sponged on a couple different colors of blue paint then dabbed on some white. I wiped the paint off the snowflakes with a damp paper towel. I was very pleased with the way it turned out. I misted the base with some homemade glimmer spray. I mixed a cream color metallic paint with some white Perfect Pearls. I love how it added shimmer without adding color. Unfortunately, I don't think you can see it in the photo. I edged the base with Faded Jeans Distress Ink.

I'm not making tags for Tim's series, but I am checking them out every day. I love the techniques and designs - both his and the participants. I wish my brain worked like his. I don't know how he comes up with this stuff!

I loved the crackle snowman on tag #4 and I just bought some Rock Candy Distress Crackle so I was anxious to try it out. LOVE IT!!! I'm definitely going to have to get a bigger jar of that stuff. I don't own any of Mr. Holtz's dies (I buy very few dies except basic shapes), so I found a piece of clipart I like online, printed it out the size I wanted and traced it only chipboard and cut it out. I painted it white and crackled it. I brushed on some blue paint, misted it with water, and wiped it off so it just highlighted the cracks. I edged him with some Faded Jeans Distress Ink. I added a couple pieces of ribbon and a ribbon tied button for his scarf and added some silver leaves and a rhinestone to embellish his hat.

Of course I don't own a Snowflakes on the Edge die either so I just made my own. I cut a strip and punched the snowflakes out of a light weight box. I think it had sweetener packets in it. I wanted something heavier than cardstock, but not as heavy as chipboard. I used deckle edge scissors to trim one side of the strip and arranged the snowflakes on the back side. I painted everything white, then crackled it and added the blue like I did on the snowman. This piece didn't crackle as well as the snowman, so I think I didn't brush on quite enough of the distress crackle.

I used a little square charm that I had since I don't have any of the fragments like Linda used on her tag. I tried to use the Alcohol Ink resist that Tim used on another of his tags, but it just didn't work for me. So I added the little punched snowflakes and blue rhinestones on top of the alcohol ink background. The snowflakes are leftovers from my snowflake border punch. I knew those would come in handy one day. I save everything.

Finally I added some corrugated paper snowflakes, button, rhinestones, big ric-rak and pearls. Lots of pearls. I think I went overboard on the pearls. LOL!

I think that's it. I only have two more projects to make for the Funkie Junkie challenge so I think I'll make it by the deadline of December 15th. Yea!

Thanks for stopping by!!


8 comments:

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Judy, I am absolutely in awe of what you did here. What you accomplished with minimal supplies - way to go! I love how you improvised and how amazing everything turned out, especially your "on the edge snowflakes". And I love the pearls - no, I don't think you went overboard, they add a great classiness and dimension to your piece. I'm in the same mindset with the wall hangings - having a ball making them and the tags.

So great to see another wonderful entry from you in the FJ 12 tags challenge!

Hugs,
Linda

Sara I. said...

What an amazing wall hanging - Beautifully done! Thanks for sharing your talent with us at Quirky Crafts and good luck! xx
Sara
QCC GDT

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

A lovely project for the home, thanks for playing along with us at CCCB!

Ros said...

This is so pretty!! Lovely wall hanging and fabulous embossing ... thanks so much for playing along with us at CCCB

Caro said...

Wow, this is amazing, every bit as good as some of those on Tim Holtz blog, and accomplished with relatively few supplies. Well done you! Thank you so much for joining in with Quirky Crafts snow challenge.

Unknown said...

This is sooooo pretty.. Thanks so much for playing along with us at CCCB!

cnelson said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS! Thanks for joining us this week at CCCB!!

Thanh Vo said...

Ohhhh! Love the Tim inspired project!

I hope you are enjoying the holidays with your family and that you had a wonderful Christmas. Thanks for joining us at Raise the Bar for the December Challenge.