Sunday, September 11, 2011

We Will Never Forget

This is my little tribute to today's somber anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. It's hard to believe it's been 10 years. This was not only a horrible day for my beloved country, but for the whole world as everyone mourned along with us.

I started this little collage just because I wanted to do it. I wanted to do something to honor the day and I also wanted to try something new. I have never made anything like this before. I have been wanting to try some mixed media collage and thought this would be something I could practice on. I didn't intend to submit it for any challenges or anything. But shortly after I started this project yesterday, Hels Sheridan, who publishes the Ink on My Fingers blog, posted her Sunday Stamper challenge. The theme this week is The Time to Remember commemorating the 9/11 attacks. So I have decided to submit it for that challenge.

I just recently discovered Hels' blog. She is not only a talented artist, this lady is a hoot! Even if you aren't particularly into her artistic style, you should check out her blog. She never fails to make me laugh. I think she would be a delightful person to know.

I started my collage by making the background. First I tore some random pieces of paper in shades of red, blue and tan and glued them onto a piece of scrap paper with Mod Podge. After that dried, I went over the whole piece with Walnut Stain Distress Ink to get rid of the white edges of the paper and tone down the colors a bit. Then I stamped the clock and script randomly on cream color tissue paper using brown StazOn, tore it into pieces and glued them over the paper, again using Mod Podge. It wrinkled a bit and some of the distress ink showed through, which I decided I liked. After the background piece dried, I glued it to a 6x6 piece of chipboard and trimmed it to fit. I then brushed metallic antique gold acrylic paint around the edges and in random strokes across the piece.

I downloaded the "We the People" and the vintage lady graphics from Flickr (Creative Commons License). I hand-stitched the lady onto a piece of vintage dictionary paper with the definition for "free" at the top. I created the Bible verse on the computer, tore it out and inked it with Vintage Photo and Fired Brick Distress Inks. I made the rosette and added the button, twine, stick pin and star charm. I stamped "Remember 9-11-01 Forever" using Fired Brick Distress Ink, then finished it off with an old postage stamp (it says "Give me liberty or give me death.") and three copper upholstery tack brads. I'm not sure about the brads, but it looked like it needed some dimension on that side and I couldn't find anything else to put there. I may change that part later if I find something more appropriate.

As I mentioned above, this is my first mixed media collage and I loved making it as much as I thought I would. I know I still have a lot to learn, but it turned out even better than I had hoped it would. I got a little scared when I was making the torn paper background. It looked pretty bad in it's first stages, but I kept going and it turned out great. I'm definitely going to do more of that and more mixed media art.

Thanks for looking!

Supplies
Stamps: Clock (Rosebud); Script (Club Scrap); Numbers (Technique Tuesday); Remember and Forever (Unknown)
Ink: Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo and Fired Brick Distress Ink (Tim Holtz - Ranger); Saddle Brown (StazOn); Red Pepper Alcohol Ink on the button (Ranger)
Paper: Scraps from my stash and tissue paper
Other: Vintage images (Flickr), vintage postage stamp, Metallic Antique Gold acrylic paint (Folk Art); stick pin; star charm; button; twine; upholstery tack brads (Making Memories)

2 comments:

Hels Sheridan said...

WOW Judy, this is truly awesome... I am loving all those different elements that all come together so perfectly to make a wonderful tribute... and thanks for your lovely comments about me... not sure that my friends would agree though lol Thanks for joining in with the Sunday STamper... hope to see you again soon x

Susan said...

Very pretty Judy and well done. I hope you do more of this style because you are really great at it! Love the red, white and blue stick pin!