Sunday, August 30, 2009

Kindergarten Scrapbook

I am not a scrapbooker. I tried for awhile, but I think I just didn't have the patience and found those big pages a little bit overwhelming. However, I do enjoy doing theme scrapbook projects on a smaller scale from time to time. My son started Kindergarten this year, and I wanted some way to document his first year of school. This is what I came up with. There aren't any pages yet. I kind of ran out of steam. That image took me just about forever to color.


I'm also submitting this project for three different challenges:
Simon Says Challenge - Back to School
Friday Sketchers - Sketch shown below
Pile it On - Round + multiple challenges - there are circular shapes in two of the papers, the circle at the bottom right, Swiss Dots Cuttlebug folder and round brads

The album is a plain chipboard album that I covered and embellished. I chose the House Mouse image Teacher's Pet for the back to school theme. I received the image in a swap, and unfortunately, it's not the most neatly stamped image, but it's the only one I had. I distressed the papers to help tie everything together. I colored the image with Prismacolor pencils blended with mineral spirits. I rubbed some white artist pastel over the chalkboard to give it a chalky appearance. I'm not sure that shows up very well in the photo. I covered the chipboard letter with paper and added the brads and the star button. The button was actually white. I used my alcohol inks to change the color. I also used the alcohol inks on the brads to make them the right shade of green as I didn't have any the right color. The words were printed on the computer, torn out and distressed.

Supplies
Stamp: House Mouse - Teacher's Pet (Stampabilities)
Ink: Old Paper and Frayed Burlap Distress Inks (Ranger); Lettuce Alcohol Ink (Ranger)
Paper: K&Co.
Tools: Circle and Labels 1 Nestabilities (Spellbinders); Swiss Dots embossing folder (Cuttlebug)
Embellishments: Ribbon (Bo Bunny); Notebook paper tag (K&Co. Tag Pad); chipboard letter (Making Memories); metal photo corners (Oriental Trading); button, twine, brads
Technique: Prismacolor pencils blended with mineral spirits; distressing

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

judy,
gorgeous, don't forget to add it to the Mr. Linky to be eligible for the prize at Pile it On!

- dalis

Janice W. said...

What a great cover and a great keepsake for your son. I wish I would have done things like that when my kids were little. Your a good mom!

Juls said...

what a fab notebook!! love it!

Jessie said...

It's just perfect Judy, love the colours and image! Can't wait to see what you do with the inside :)

~MudpieMouse said...

This is fabulous! You created a lovely piece to document and remember your sons first year of school with. Great job and good luck on the challenges.

Lorraine A said...

This is a fabulous mini album ! :-) I know exactly what you mean re scrapbooking ,,,, I have made loads of empty albums !!!! :-) Hope you do manage to put some photo's in this one :-)

I love this image and the whole thing is fabby !! I do love this album ,,, well done you !! :-)

Thanks for joining the Simon Says Stamp Challenge :-)

Luv
Lols x x x

by. Amy Schultz said...

what a fun kindergarten book! that is going to be a treasure for a long time :)

Amy -- Pile It On DT

Mephisto said...

Hi,
thats a wonderful Work!

Thanks for joning in the SimonSaysChallenge this week.

Domi

Susan said...

Nice job! Davin will treasure this forever I'm sure.

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Wow! What a cool notebook! The corners are a really neat touch!

Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp Challenge!

<3,
Steph

Maureen said...

WOW!! Fabulous album - the coloring is great! Thanks for playing with us at Pile It On!

Timi O. Mercado said...

Great idea! Thanks for playing this week at Pile it on.

Timi

Vickilyn said...

Very cute!!

Thanks for playing with us at Pile It On!!

~Vicki
Owner