Saturday, June 20, 2009

From the Heart - Father's Day Card/Penny Black Challenge

This card is for this week's Penny Black Saturday Challenge. I'm also giving to my husband for Father's Day. If you're wondering what a hedgehog playing guitar has to do with Father's Day - I chose the image because my husband plays the guitar - and I just thought it was cute!

The Penny Black Challenge this week was to use embossing. I love to use my Cuttlebug embossing folders so this challenge was right up my alley. I used the Script folder because it fits a masculine style better than some of the others I have and it also went well with the papers I chose. The gray cardstock is also embossed with a pin stripe pattern, but it came that way, so I'm not sure it counts for the challenge.

I find it a bit challenging to make the cute little hedgie images masculine, but I also enjoy a bit of a challenge. To accomplish that, I chose masculine papers and colors - cream, red, gray and black. I also used Old Paper Distress Ink over the image and sentiment to work with the distressed style of the paper. I kept the layout and embellishments simple as well.

I was afraid the contrast of styles between the papers and embellishments and the hedgie might not work, but I like the way it turned out. Hopefully, my husband will like it too.

Supplies
Stamps: Hmmm...(Penny Black); From the Heart (Hero Arts)
Ink: Onyx Black (VersaFine); Old Paper Distress Ink (Ranger)
Paper: Gray pinstripe cardstock (Club Scrap); red cardstock (DCWV); DP (Autumn Leaves)
Embellishments: Label 1 Nestabilities, circle Nestabilities (Spellbinder); Script embossing folder (Cuttlebug); flowers (Prima); square gem brad, ribbon (unknown)
Technique: Prismacolor pencils blended with mineral spirits
Finished card size: 5 1/2" square

9 comments:

Emily said...

Your hubby will love this card Judy! You've got the right colors for the masculine look and that image is just so darn cute! You used the perfect brad in the flower you chose too because it reminds me of a cuff link:))

Bastelkueken`s Kreative Welt aus Alsdorf said...

Wow, This card is perfect in all. Great design, love your image.

MinnaK. said...

This card is perfect, i like the colours and papers you have used :)

Minna xxx

Cathy said...

Gorgeous card. Great papers and what a cute image.
Cathy xx

GiftsByHeidi said...

Looks masculine to me! I love that image. Great job!

Janice W. said...

Another great card Judy! You did a great job making that hedgie look masculine by the colors you chose.

Samantha Mellor said...

Love this card.It is great for a man.Hugs SamXX

Kath Stewart said...

fabulous card Judy...love the super cute image and those gorgeous papers...the embossing fits in perfectly......thanks for joining in the fun this week at PBSC...hugs Kath xxxxx

Sarah said...

A really gorgeous card, fantastic layout and colours.
xx :0)