Monday, March 23, 2009

Use It Challenge #3

Rae of the fabulous Simply Rae blog started the Use It! challenges blog a few weeks ago to challenge us to use items we have in our stashes. This is the third challenge - and the first one I have been able to participate in. The elements of the challenge for this week were to: 1) use eyelets; 2) use something in your stash more than a year old; and 3) use polka dots.

My eyelets are in the corners of the image. I had something totally different in mind, but it didn't work like I saw it in my head so this is what I ended up with. Trust me - what I saw in my head was a whole lot more creative. I have lots of eyelets, but rarely use them. Now that I'm looking at the card, I probably should have replaced the brads in the centers of the flower with eyelets too. Oh well - missed that one.

Almost everything used for this card has been in my stash for more than a year. The first thing I did was to rummage around for something to inspire me because I had no ideas whatsoever. What I found was the felt flowers. I have had them for at least a year and a half - maybe two. I can't remember if I received them in a swap or as a hostess gift, but I didn't buy them and I have no idea who made them. From there I picked my papers and the image to use. I have had the papers and the ribbon for at least two years. The only thing used on the card that is not more than a year old is the stamp I used. I've had it almost a year and this is the first time I have used it. It was a birthday gift from my friend Cheryl/polarbear last year (my birthday is one month from today:)

I had a lot of fun making this card. It did challenge me because I rarely use eyelets, the image is way different than my usual style and I think I can safely say this is the first time I have ever used pink and orange paper. I'm challenging myself to use some different color combinations and I think I really like this one.

Thanks for stopping by. Make sure to visit the Use It! blog for more fun cards and visit Rae's blog Simply Rae for more great inspiration.

Supplies
Stamp: Great Impresssions
Ink: Onyx Black (VersaFine)
Paper: Cardstock (unknown); DP - My Mind's Eye (It's either My Symphony or Everyday Tango - I don't remember for sure)
Embellishments: eyelets; felt flowers; ribbon (all unknown)
Technique: Prismacolor pencils blended with turpenoid

11 comments:

Unknown said...

This is adorable! Great job making your older supplies look fresh and new!

Tamaroo said...

I love the colors! Awesome!

Unknown said...

YaY Judy!!!! Your card is FABulous, seriously ♥loving♥ what you put together here!! Love the color combo, your stamped image is absolutely adorable, and I really like what you did with the eyelets! I also appreciate your narrative explaining what you used, that was exactly what I had in mind with this challenge blog :)
Thank you SO much for playing along with this week's Use It! challenge, glad that it inspired you to use up some stash ;)
{thank you also for the kind words about lil' ol' me, *blushing*}
~rae

Tonya said...

I think your card is super cute! I love the way it turned out, eyelets and all! Great job!

Basement Stamper said...

Very cute, I love that image and the colors you used make me very happy!

Kelly said...

Your card is so bright and cheery! Great choices of colors and the felt flowers.

Unknown said...

OMG! That ladybug is too cute! I love the pink and orange! I never would have thought to put them together either but you did a wonderful job at it! :)
Alicia

GiftsByHeidi said...

Love pink & orange together!! Love how you ran the ribbon through the eyelets on the ends of the image. That is so cute.

Rosanne said...

Terrific card, love the bright colours!

Patti said...

Great card I love the colors! they are so fresh and happy! I LOVE those felt flowers. I've been wanting to try to make felt flowers - just great!! Love it!

Patti

Unknown said...

Congrats Judy!!!!
Random.org has selected YOU as the winner of Use It! challenge no.3!!
wahooooooooooooo!!
So... start scheming up a challenge, bust out an adorable card, and email me all of the above by this Sunday PM (if you have the time, if not, it's okay, just let me know, K?)
Looking forward to what you come up with!!
happy friday!
~rae
raescards@comcast.net